What will happen to the cows?

I spent the holiday weekend making a pilgrimage, of sorts, to a pair of endangered neon signs: Hilltop Steak House in Saugus and Lord’s in Medfield.

bregman_hilltop_02

What will happen to the cattle?

bregman_hilltop_01

This giant cactus has loomed over Route 1 since 1961.

I have fond memories of stopping at the Hilltop on the way home from weekends in Maine with a once-close friend. The attraction was not the food — I don’t particularly like steak or lobster and the salad dressing was way too sweet — but we loved the restaurant’s delicious tackiness. Mostly I associate the Hilltop with those trips to Old Orchard Beach — where I won a stuffed  flamingo (or was it a pink puffin?) in a game of chance — and the knowledge that we were almost home after a long drive.

And now it’s closing.  What will happen to the larger-than-life sign that towers over Route 1?  And  what of the herd of fake cattle, corralled in front of the restaurant and beloved by all?

And then there’s Lord’s. Let me start by saying that I have no sentimental attachment to this sign.  But over the past few months, two different people I’ve met through my project to save the Circle Cinema sign have encouraged me to take a look.  It’s on Route 109 in Medfield and you can’t miss it.  The sign’s exuberant typography marks the site of a now-empty department store that shut down in February after 73 years in business  (which means, coincidentally, that Lord’s and the Circle Theater both opened in 1940). I’m told that the new owners have no interest in re-using the sign or saving it.  Which means that unless someone steps up to save this example of commercial archeology, we will all lose another piece of our collective past.

bregman_lords_01

Lord’s was a fixture in Medfield for 73 years.

I’ve written before about the Circle Cinemas on the Brighton / Brookline border. Despite growing community support and a Facebook page, the future of the CIRCLE sign is still unknown. Its fate depends on a number of factors, including decisions about a redevelopment project slated for the site, and nothing is certain.

Too many of New England’s neon signs are endangered.  Lord’s and the Hilltop and the Circle are all landmark signs that have the power to evoke memories of old friends, movie dates, and small-town New England. But without a constituency to save them — and a place to store them — many of these signs seem destined to disappear. We’ve already lost the Coca-Cola sign that overlooked Storrow Drive. Maybe we should follow the example of Las Vegas where a group of citizens banded together to salvage the city’s neon signs when they fell to renovation or implosion. They began by storing the signs in a vacant lot and over time they were able to create the Neon Museum.

Now Boston is not like Las Vegas in any way, but we have the good fortune to live in a region that recognizes the value of its past. Maybe its time to follow the example of our Las Vegas neighbors and celebrate New England’s history in lights.

(By the way, you can visit my Etsy shop to get a photo of the Hilltop or other Boston-area neon signs.)

, , , , ,

15 Responses to What will happen to the cows?

1. Derek October 15, 2013 at 11:54 am #

Awesome article somebody should save Hilltops sign I heard the ICA might want it

2. Susan October 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Surely someone will want it. I just hope it goes to a good home.

Here’s how one designer envisions it, courtesy of the Boston Globe:

3. Keith Nelson October 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

In Vestal NY, a suburb of Binghamton, there was a restaurant, the Vestal Steak House, that had a large bull in front of the restaurant for years. It was about the same size as Hilltop’s. When the building was slated for demolition to build a Quality Inn Suites, the bull was donated to the local Discovery Museum where it has found a permanent home. Check out their website: http://www.thediscoverycenter.org

• Susan October 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Very cool. Let’s hope the Hilltop herd finds a happy home as well.

4. Mary Scott October 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Maybe the show American Pickers would be interested?

5. Karen October 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Do you know whatever happened to the sign from Valley’s Steak House on Rte. 9 E in Chestnut Hill which is currently occupied by the Atrium Mall?

• Susan October 15, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

I don’t know, although I’m familiar with that stretch of Route 9. Maybe another reader knows.

6. Cynthia Kiessling October 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

It is so sad that all of our childhood memories are going or gone. From my earliest memory, I remember that sign. I hate that I will never see that again.

7. Scott October 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

I was sad to see Lords close. I have been obsessed with the fate of that sign since then. I fear that it’s only a matter of time before the neon sign at the Hockamock Plaza in Bridgewater disappears.

8. Gary October 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Dave Waller of Boston collects Neon Signs. He restores them and has many. He has the old Skip’s Restaurant signs from Chelmsford…..the Howard Johnsons’s signs from Chelmsford, the McIntyres Clam Stand sign from Rowley, etc……..

• Susan October 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Dave’s a neon rock star!

9. Kit Lord October 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

I think I need to save that Lord’s sign. It look s about the length of my roofline.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Don’t forget the cactus | Red Nickel - October 16, 2013

[…] « What will happen to the cows? […]

2. Another one bites the dust | Red Nickel - October 22, 2013

[…] week I wrote about two endangered Massachusetts neon signs — the Hilltop Steak House in Saugus and Lord’s department store in Medfield.  Now […]

3. Edge of extinction: Route 1 dino is endangered | Red Nickel - November 16, 2015

[…] or not, maybe the dino can follow the example of the Hilltop Steak House, just up the road, with its giant neon cactus and herd of fiberglass cattle.  The restaurant was […]